Translate

Sunday, August 9, 2015

Castillo San Felipe de Barajas

This is Elise.  Mike takes all the photos so I don't have to bother.
When we arrived at our hotel and noticed the shop in the lobby was a combination bakery/coffee shop/bar/ nail salon, I knew I was going to like it here.  I am having a lot of fun here in Cartagena.  I love walking around the historical district and finding new things around every corner.  Yesterday I found the flower market and the area where they sell new release pirated movies for 2,000 pesos (it's about 2,800 pesos to the dollar)  Today I figured out how to get to the bakery I like from our hotel.  They sell a delicious deep fried corn item filled with eggs, cheese, meat and spices.  It is very hot and humid here so I sweat through several outfits a day as I spend hours walking around.  I have been reading about the recent history of Columbia and am very impressed with the progress this country has made in the last 15 years.
We all had a blast exploring the tunnels of the castillo today.  I felt like a kid again like when I was exploring the castles of Europe as a child.


From atop the castillo there is a great view of the new section of town across the water. Construction cranes are everywhere in this dynamic growing city
The girls are trying to break into the castillo
The secure walls of the castillo were never breached
Taking a break on a canon and showing their UT pride with Hook'em Horns
The castillo is well positioned for surrounding views
The castillo was in some degree of construction for nearly 200 years
The girls enjoyed the view of the skyline of the new downtown
These impenetrable walls have a network of tunnels to hide soldiers and weapons.
Surprisingly few tourist were here and most of the ones we did encounter were from other parts of Latin America. With the strengthening dollar this place is very affordable for U.S. residents
We enjoyed the breeze atop the castillo under the beautiful Colombian flag
The labyrinth of tunnels that cut through the fortress were used for supplies and quick secure troop movement during times of battle. 

2 comments:

  1. Love that the adventure rolls on. Party on, Stock clan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that the adventure rolls on. Party on, Stock clan!

    ReplyDelete