Translate

Thursday, May 24, 2018

Petrified Forest National Park, a gift from nature

My daughters and I drove right by this national park nearly two years ago and didn't stop for a visit due to time constraints. I promised the kids, back then, that one day we would return. They remembered that promise and so we decided to visit the petrified forest and enjoy the scenery. From the moment we entered the park I was completely entranced, and mesmerized, looking at all the 215 million year old petrified trees and the multicolored topography. My wife and kids, however, fizzled out after the visitor center, saying that it was the best spot and contained everything that we needed to see. That was understandable but I wanted to see this park, and the Clark Griswold came out in me. We drove from one end of the park to the other, stopping to take pictures every few minutes. Eventually my wife said, "We need to go back to our trailer now, we are all exhausted!" As for my daughters and our dog, they were passed out in the back seat of our truck. So I figured I could get some quality photo-time but my wife could not stand to see one more rock, mud mound, or pile of sand. She was done, finito, spent, whatever you want to call it, she was through.
   In the end, it was all good! I got to see the park, my wife got to enjoy her glass of wine before turning to a pumpkin and my kids had a wonderful siesta. Besides learning about tectonic uplift and petrification, I was also reminded that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. As dorky as it sounds, I did not want to miss a thing, and my family obliged me at first, but once they got bored tuned out it wasn't fun anymore. I have to remember it's not about getting to Wally World but the enjoying the journey that matters. Thankfully, I learned this lesson early in our trip and shall not soon forget it.       

The colorful stratification of the mud.

Paco became an official Bark Ranger for the day :) 

The petrified wood looked as good today as it did 215 million years ago.

We asked a kind retiree to take our picture and this is what we got :) 

Paco knows a tree when he sees one, even if this is 215 million years old.

The minerals within the trees petrified as well.

Looks like it fell yesterday.

Starting to get bored.

I was mesmerized they were bored. 

The earth eroded under this intact log so the park service decided to put a cement support under it so it would not break into pieces.

Lovin' it.

The colors changed throughout the day.

Out cold.

Petroglyghs were at several locations within the park.

I liked how the egret has a frog in it's mouth. 

The park was very beautiful, but again it's in the eye of the beholder.

No comments:

Post a Comment