Translate

Monday, April 16, 2018

Anniversaries: truths and changes

Have you ever seen something so beautiful that it leaves you speechless, until later, when you try to describe it and you can't stop talking about it? Anniversaries, birthdays and more meaningful holidays remind us of times gone by, our journeys, and of futures unknown. Our family, consists of a 47 year old dad, two daughters (12 and 9 years old), and a mom/wife of double "top secret" age. We recently came together to discuss whether we should stay in Nicaragua or move back to the U.S.
   Our discussion coincided around the same time frame as our second anniversary, in Nicaragua, so each of us had stories to share about how this country impacted us in unique ways. Hearing both of my daughters excitedly describe their journey of experiences, friendships, and how they grew in the process brought tears of joy to all of our eyes. My wife explained with a quivering voice, "I no longer feel like I'm living in a fog and I love waking to the birds and a sky full of colors every morning." I found it difficult to fill my lungs with air describing the wonderful friends we each made. My daughters knew daddy was heartbroken, all they had to do was look at my eyes and watch me gasp for air whilst trying to speak.
   Truth is, after two years in Nicaragua we still haven't found a business to buy, one that I'd have a passion for owning anyway. We went through these options as we saw them:
1. Kick the can down the road and continue looking for a business
2. Stay for another year here and look for more opportunities in the U.S. then go back north.
3. Buy a business that I wasn't truly inspired to own so that we could stay in Granada.
4. Buy a business in the U.S., in a place that that we could all agree on and pursue a different dream.
   One by one, we each reluctantly chose the 4th option, it was the one that made the most sense. We each had our moments of saying yes, then no, then mostly yes. We stood there, each of us with an equal vote, each of us on our own emotional journey, and each of us supporting one another.
    After a couple of days of processing our decision to leave we agreed that the best plan of action is to do a "Walk about" in the U.S. Essentially this means buying an RV or travel trailer, and seeing the communities with our own eyes and if we need to homeschool for a period, than so be it. We have ideas on what is important to each of us and we are going to let it flow.
   My wife is so supportive, she wants me to live a more fulfilling life and knows early retirement would waste my talents. I know my wife will help me choose a path which is best for the family. My daughters are equally supportive, they witness mommy's actions and understand this journey is for everyone's benefit. I know my daughters will also help me choose a path which is best for the family. As for me, I see our world changing and realize that we were so fortunate to have extended my daughters' youth, and their pretend world of magical powers as long as we could have. Playtime and hearing the laughter of my kids and all of their friends is what motivates me for the next phase of our lives.
   This blog was written to be like a daily journal of a family moving abroad. Soon, this blog will be about a family who found love and happiness on that journey and their attempts to reintegrate into the modern world. Part of me fears that we will be like an asteroid, disintegrating once we enter the atmosphere. Yet, I also see a blindingly beautiful place where my wife and kids have sun to their backs and wind in their hair. Whatever the future holds, I cannot foretell. Sometimes, though, letting go is the most powerful thing one can do. 


                  

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What timing! I realize you are leaving Nicaragua sooner than you wanted, and under unfortunate circumstances for the country you have grown to love, but it is powerful that y'all made the group decision to leave a week before the unrest there.

    ReplyDelete